Harold Morrison

Harold Morrison

No sooner had Harold and Ernestine Morrison built a home on the Morrison family farm north of Salina than they decided to purchase a pony for their daughter Kim. Kim’s curiosity about all the horse trailers going to town past their house led them to their first horse show, and from there. . .well, little did they realize at that time how involved they would become with the Kansas Quarter Horse Association. That involved meant the pony was soon replaced by registered Quarter Horses for both girls, shows, clinics, better horses, better vehicles and trailers and, of course, more shows. When Kim and Terri married and left home, Ernestine took over showing in Novice Amateur classes.

While the rest of the family was showing, Harold began helping put on the shows they were attending. In fact, over the years Harold has worked or managed shows for Silver Spurs Saddle Club, 81-40 Saddle Club, Mid-West Circuit, Memorial Day Circuit, Southwind Circuit, and the Beat the Heat Circuit. He has been involved in every facet of putting on a show--hiring judges, assigning stalls, ordering and delivering shavings, setting jumps and trail obstacles, supporting the entry office and even running a cattle chute in the boiling sun. He has been a part of show management at the Kansas Youth sponsored shows for 25 years, the Kansas State Fair Quarter Horse Show for 23 years, and the KQHA Fall Circuit for 18 years.

Harold was elected to the Kansas Quarter Horse Association Board of Directors in 1979 and during his tenure served as head of the Show and Contest Committee and on the Youth Scholarship committee. In addition he has been the KQHA delegate to the Kansas State Fair Equine Committee since it was formed more than fourteen years ago.

He was appointed Assistant Youth Advisor in 1980 and served as Youth Advisor from 1981 through 1986 during which time the Kansas Youth Team took World Champion honors twice. Harold again served as Assistant Youth Advisor from 1990 to 1993.

Harold became KQHA Vice President in 1992 and served as President during 1994-1995. Here he faced his greatest challenge: the KQHA had been operating in the red for many years and was close to folding. When the Board of Directors decided in April of 1995 to close the office in Canton, Harold and Ernestine took what few records there were home to Kim’s old bedroom. At this time they were faced with less than $40 in the association’s checking account to cover several large unpaid bills. However, with the help and cooperation of many KQHA members, they began to dig the KQHA out of a very deep hole. When the Morrisons retired six years later, the Kansas Quarter Horse association was once more financially secure, the magazine was holding its own, and membership credibility had been restored.